The weather has been difficult–either too cold or too wet–for local growers the last couple of months, reducing the availability of seasonal vegetables.
Looking for something to cook a couple of nights ago I found some courgettes and peppers from a trip to the supermarket and remembered a recipe inspired by Delia Smith and featured in my cookbook, Delicious Dishes for Diabetics.
Delia calls it Roast Ratatouille and includes cherry tomatoes and aubergines [eggplant]–but a simpler version is worth a go, I thought….
It was a tasty and healthy supper–served it on a bed of quinoa with a yogurt sauce.
3 red peppers
3 sweet/red onions–quartered
2 garlic cloves–chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
set the oven to 240C/460F
- cut up the vegetables in largish chunks.
- Put them in a bowl, add the oil and sprinkle over the garlic.
- Turn everything over carefully to coat the vegetables with the oil.
- Line a shallow oven tray with foil.
- Brush the foil with olive oil.
- Empty the bowl onto the tray and spread the vegetables evenly over it.
- Put the tray on the top level of the oven.
- Roast for 20minutes or until the vegetables are nicely charred–(not burnt!)