Two small tins of Borlotti beans that came back with us from Italy after the last olive harvest have been on my mind recently.
I like these nutty brown beans which are more difficult to source here in France–this recipe jogged my memory and whetted my appetite.
The green bean season is coming to an end–but I had a couple of handfuls in a bag in the fridge–bought in the organic market last Thursday–needing to be eaten.
Eureka! lunch dish–to go with the omelettes.
1 medium tin of borlotti beans–(of course you can use white beans)
2 handfuls of green beans
salt and pepper
a squeeze of lemon juice to finish
- Gently heat the borlotti beans in the juice from the tin–(add more water if necessary).
- Cook the green beans to just tender–in plenty of salted boiling water.
- Drain and arrange both sets of beans on a wide plate and generously sprinkle over olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the beans in the oil.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- We ate the whole plateful!