…from the Starters and Light Lunches section of Delicious Dishes for Diabetics:
2 large aubergines
2 tbsp olive oil
2–3 tbsp wine vinegar
3–4 cloves of garlic – crushed with a little salt
60 g/2 oz walnuts – shelled; if you do this yourself, take care that no pieces of shell get left with the kernel.
a handful chopped parsley
- Wash and cut the aubergines lengthwise into 1.5 cm/1/2 inch slices.
- Salt them slightly and put them in a colander for an hour or so, to drain off some of their bitter juice.
- Dry them thoroughly and brush generously with olive oil on both sides.
Heat the oven at 240°C/475°F/Gas Mark 9.
- Put the aubergines on well-oiled foil in a shallow oven tray.
- Cook them in the oven for about 20 minutes to brown them, turning after 10 minutes.
- While the aubergines are in the oven, make the sauce.
- Mix the crushed garlic with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Chop the walnuts in a processor or pound them in a pestle and mortar.
- Combine these two ingredients with the parsley in a bowl and add another tablespoon of oil.
- Mix well and check for salt.
- Take the aubergines out of the oven, put them on a serving plate, brush with the vinegar and spread the delicious sauce on top.
- Serve warm or room temperature.