This is very simple to do.
Slow cooked sausages are added to slow cooked strips of red cabbage and are slow cooked on a little, to let them get to know each other!
This is adapted from a recipe in the remarkable Marcella Hazan’s 2nd Classic Italian Cook Book.
For me, her books have been–still are–inspiring treasure troves of authenticity.
Nothing else is needed here except perhaps a little of your favourite mustard.
- 700gms/1.5 lb red cabbage– cored and sliced fine
- 450 gms/1lb of your favourite pork sausages– cut in 3″/4″ lengths
- 2 cloves garlic– chopped
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or casserole and gently sauté the garlic until it is golden.
- Add the cabbage and turn it over well in the oil and garlic.
- Let it reduce gently–turning it from time to time–for about 20-30 minutes.
- While the cabbage is cooking–sauté the sausage pieces in a separate pan brushed with a little oil.
- Brown them gently all over.
- When the cabbage has reduced, season well with salt and pepper.
- Tuck the sausages under the gleaming purple cabbage and cook them together for another 20 minutes–turning them from time to time.