This is my version of a “serious” white bean soup from the great Italian-American cook, Marcella Hazan.
It is in my newly published book–Delicious Dishes for Diabetics–a Mediterranean Way of Eating.
The smooth and creamy consistency make it a comfort soup par excellence –and popular here with nieces and nephews when they come to visit. Meredith says it reminds her of her home town–Chicago, “the Windy City”!
1 clove of garlic – peeled and chopped
8 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley – chopped
1 kg/36 oz canned or, preferably, bottled cannelini /white beans – drained and rinsed
salt and pepper
250 ml/½ pint/1 cup vegetable stock –[I use organic vegetable stock cubes]
toasted wholewheat/rye bread with a little olive oil
- Sauté the garlic in the oil gently until it colours.
- Add the parsley and stir a couple of times.
- Mix in the beans, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes to warm through.
- Purée a quarter of the beans in a mixer and return with the stock to the pan.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Check the seasoning.
- Serve over the toast with a swirl of olive oil in each bowl.