4 fennel bulbs
1 garlic bulb–cloves separated and peeled
1/4 cup/60ml/2floz olive oil
500gm/450oz spicy sausage–cut into wine cork size chunks
1. Remove the outer casing of the fennel and cut the bulbs into eighths vertically.
2. Put them in a pan large enough to take them in a single layer.
3. Scatter the whole garlic cloves among them.
4. Pour over the olive oil and add a pinch of salt.
5. Sauté gently, uncovered, for half an hour, turning the fennel as it colours.
6. Add 1/4 cup/60ml/2floz of water, cover the pan and continue cooking for about another half hour, adding more water as needed.
7. The fennel should end up meltingly tender. The water makes a light sauce.
8. While the fennel cooks its second half hour, sauté the sausages gently in a separate pan, turning them as they colour.
9. Add them to the fennel and cook it all together for 5 minutes.