Out of Spring–back into Winter–snowing when we arrived!
Our friend Tari–the carefree cook from Delicious Dishes–is cooking lunch and I’ve just watched him stir fry some cabbage for lunch to go with spatchcocked poussin.
1 medium cabbage–outer leaves removed, quartered, de-stemmed and sliced fine
a swirl of olive oil in the pan
1tsp cumin seeds,
a pinch of red chili flakes
a couple of bay leaves
salt and pepper
a couple of handfuls of frozen green peas
- He heats the oil in a large sauté pan.
- Adds the cumin seeds and fries them briefly until they color a little.
- Adds the cabbage and turns it over thoroughly in the oil.
- Adds the spices and seasons it all with salt and pepper.
- Stir-fries over a highish heat for about five minutes–(the cabbage wilts but retains a bit of a bite!)
- Tari says that if the heat is too low it will steam the cabbage and taste like hospital food!–and won’t pick up the little flecks of brown that add to its deliciousness–don’t burn it though!.
- Then he adds the peas and turns them in and over with the cabbage.
- He likes to cook this a little ahead of time to let the flavours meld–then reheat it just before eating.
- It looking beautifully green and I can hardly wait!