Small piles of green beans are starting to appear in the markets.
Adapted from the actress and cookery writer, Madhur Jaffrey’s recipe ,
these goes well with spicy and not so spicy food.
1lb/450 gms green beans–topped
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
4 cloves of garlic — chopped very fine
1 dried red chilli–chopped fine
1 tsp salt
- Cook the beans to just tender in plenty of lightly salted, boiling water–use tongs to whip one out of the water to test for doneness.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the seeds.
- When they start to pop add the garlic.
- Cook until it starts to turn light brown–careful not to burn it–it won’t take long.
- Add the chilli and stir.
- Add the beans and the salt.
- Turn the heat to low and fold the beans over in the oil and spices.
- (You are heating through and infusing the beans with the flavours–5 minutes should do it).
- Add the pepper
Green Beans with black Mustard Seeds and Garlic
June 14, 2011 by Robin Ellis