This is adapted from Rena Salaman’s lovely and authentic book, Greek Food.
It’s a refreshing garlicky sauce that goes well with grilled summer vegetables, chicken and lamb, and the previous post’s No–Potato Fishcakes.
2 small pots no/low-fat yogurt*
a tablespoon of olive oil
a teaspoon of white wine or cider vinegar
a clove of garlic – pulped in a mortar with a little salt
2 fresh mint leaves – finely chopped
¼ medium cucumber – peeled, quartered lengthwise, deseeded and finely diced
salt and pepper
*For a thicker sauce–which is how we like it–empty the yogurt into a piece of muslin drapped over a sieve and leave it to drain into a bowl for half an hour in the fridge.
Discard the liquid and carefully empty the yogurt into the bowl.
Or use the yogurt as it comes out of the pot–emptying it into a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the oil and the vinegar together.
- Mix in the garlic and the mint.
- Fold this into the yogurt and add the cucumber.
- Season to taste and mix it all together thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve it.